- The average human has roughly 100,000 hairs on their heads and they will lose around 50 to 100 hairs naturally per day.
- 85% of men will be affected by hair loss at some point in their lives
- Our hair cycle usually produces more hair than we lose, however, once the cycle begins to produce less hair that is when hair loss may occur.
- Smoking more than doubles the likelihood of experiencing hair loss
- There are several factors which can contribute to hair loss. Dyeing your hair with chemicals and colours can be very harmful to your hair if done on a regular basis.
- Your hair has an average lifespan of roughly two to six years.
- Alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder in which your body’s immune defenses attack your hair follicles by mistake
- Around 1 in 5 women in the UK aged over 25 are currently experiencing hair loss or thinning
- 8 million women in the UK experience hair loss
- 40% of women with alopecia have had marital problems as a consequence, and about 63% claim to have had career related problems
- Alopecia Areata affects 2 people in every 1000 in the UK
- Vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss
- 35 Million Men and 21 Million Women Suffer From Alopecia Or Hair Loss Worldwide
- More Than 50% Of Women Experience Hair Loss Post Menopause
- Every 13th Man Has a Hair Transplant
- A quarter of men in their 20s show signs of male pattern baldness, with six and a half million males in the UK, affected.
- DHT, which is the hormone created by the body’s testosterone. It is not DHT production that causes hair loss, it’s the inherited sensitivity to DHT that causes the loss. Those with high sensitivity will be the first to experience a weakening in their follicles.
- With male pattern baldness the highest rates are found among Caucasians, followed by Afro-Caribbeans. Chinese and Japanese men have the lowest rates. For some unknown reason, this form of hair loss is does not occur among Native Americans.
Amazing facts about hair loss that you may not know
Posted by SMP_density_SMP on | Featured